Experience the VSN ~ Heroes at Home BBQ & VSAP
Community Action Documentary by Sanai Abell
****** The Heroes at Home BBQ & VSAP has been rescheduled for September 20, 2020 !!! ******
The VSN Leadership met at RMMMH 4/16 to review the dates Fort Missoula Regional Park had available for the pavilion in Aug/Sept. September 20th is the only date that was feasible for all of us. Thank you to all of our sponsors & supporters for sticking w/us through these challenging times ~ Your support of our Veterans, service members, and families / caregivers is greatly appreciated!
Sincerely, VSN Leadership Team (Anton, Erick, John, Rebecca, Shannon & Tate)
*** If you would like to donate to one of the VSN Leader ORGS:
Extreme Sports for Veterans: http://xsports4vets.org/
United Veterans Council (UVC) of Missoula & Ravalli Counties, Veterans Relief Fund (Emergency gas, etc.): EIN# 81-6016498; Mail: American Legion Post 27, 825 Ronan St., Missoula, MT 59801; Questions: John Angwin, American Legion Commander, C 544-2583, firstname.lastname@example.org
Veteran Suicide Awareness & Prevention (VSAP): https://runsignup.com/vsap
SEPTEMBER 20, 2020 ~ 10am to 3pm
7th Annual Heroes at Home BBQ & Music Festival
5th Annual Veteran Suicide Awareness & Prevention (VSAP) Run / Walk / RUCK!
Fort Missoula Regional Park ~ Bella Vista Pavilion
Schedule of Events:
9am VSP Set Up in Bella Vista Pavilion / VSAP sign in
10am Opening Ceremony
RUCK to start immediately following
Delayed start for everyone else
11am - 3pm FREE BBQ while supplies last
Live music, kids activities (PLAYGROUND, MASCOTS, CABELA'S ARCHERY RANGE), silent auction, 50/50, beer garden, and Civil War Re-enactment at the Rocky Mountain Museum of Military History (RMMMH)
12pm Monte Appearance *** Confirmed for new date!
2pm VSAP Awards Ceremony
*** Montana’s Veteran suicide rate is one of the highest in the nation. This event will help raise awareness about this epidemic. Bring the community together to memorialize those lost and let Veterans, their friends, and families know they are not alone.
Facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/483415689026245
VSAP Walk / Half-Marathon / 20kg Ruck ~ REGISTRATION IS OPEN!
The VSAP event is broken down into a Suicide awareness walk/run, Half-Marathon and Ruck division (Carring 20kg to represent the 20+ veterans a day who are lost to suicide in the US). Montana consistently has one of the highest suicide rates in the nation. This event will help raise awareness and promote prevention about this epidemic by bring the community together to memorialize those lost and let Veterans, their friends, and families know they are not alone.
Run / Walk (T-Shirt & Swag Bag), 3.2 miles, $10 each
Half-Marathon (Medals as prizes), $45 each,
Half-Marathon Ruck Division (Carrying 20 Kg in a pack - pistol and rifle safes as prizes), $45 each
RACE TIME: All races, run / walks start after the opening ceremony at 10am
LOCATION: Fort Missoula Regional Park, Bella Vista Pavilion - PLEASE ENTER THE PARK VIA SOUTH AVE
*** RACE BAGS: Package pick-up will be at the Missoula Vet Center 910 Brooks Street from 0900 to 1800 on September 18, 2020. Please pick-up event package (T-Shirt, Swag) on this date to ensure smooth participant flow the morning of the VSAP Event.
REGISTER (PLEASE REGISTER BY 8/15/20 TO ENSURE A T-SHIRT IN YOUR SIZE): https://runsignup.com/Race/MT/FtMissoula/VSAPVeteranSuicideawarenessandprevention
VSAP Coordinator: Erick, American Legion Post 27, (406) 224-3334, email@example.com
DONORS as of 5/20/20 (Noted w/ *** If they've CONFIRMED FOR NEW DATE, September 20, 2020 ~ THANK YOU!!!):
*** AARP Montana (1K for BBQ)
Albertson’s (In kind – BBQ)
*** Baskin-Robbins is "looking forward to helping however we can this year!"
Annunciation Greek Orthodox Church ~ Extra tables & chairs
Cabela's ~ Use of archery range
Competitive Timing (VSAP / race)
*** Humana ~ $500.00 VSAP donation
*** Jerry's Transmission (undetermined$ /Joy)
*** Pepsi Cola of Missoula ~ Drinks (soda, water, etc.)
Project Tomorrow Montana – Water Table
Run Wild Missoula (Equipment)
*** UM School of Social Work – Water Table
*** Simkins Hallin ~ $300.00 VSAP donation
VFW Auxiliary (2 patriotic cakes & lots of cookies).
Silent Auction Donors:
a2z Supply Corps (SDVOSB) – 3 weapon lights (1 for rifle & 2 for pistol)
Be Safe, Love Mom (Elaine Brye, Author) – Gift Basket
Keely Flatow (USAF Veteran & UM Alumni): 24x30 signed / framed, metal print of Miss Montana
Rocky Mountain School of Photography (Gift Certificate for any class)
Veteran Service Providers (VSP) tabling in Bella Vista Pavilion (As of 5/20 ~ MARKED w/ *** if CONFIRMED FOR NEW DATE):
American Red Cross (Confirming)
Braach Shepherds 4 Veterans (Possibly a gift basket for Silent Auction as well)
Disabled American Veterans (Bitterroot DAV)
Historical Museum at Fort Missoula ~ NOT tabling but check out their exhibits across the street!
*** Humana / MarketPoint (Veteran Health Options outside the VA)
*** Job Service (MT DLI) – Disabled Veterans Outreach Program (DVOP). Also, The Butte DVOP / LVER might also be participating in VSAP & sharing table!
Missoula Aging Services – RSVP Volunteers
*** Missoula Housing Authority
Missoula Paddleheads in conjunction w/the Arizona Diamondbacks ~ Tabling PLUS they're bringing Ollie the Osprey & possibly their new Paddlehead mascot! *** The only scenario that we wouldn't be able to make it would be if one of our games gets rescheduled for that date.
*** Missoula Vet Center / Mobile Vet Center
*** Missoula Veterans Court Coordinator
Montana Honor Guard / Walking for the Fallen (flags and POW/MIA table)
Montana Veterans Affairs Division (MVAD)
Montana Warriors on the Water
Montana Wounded Warriors
Montana Youth Challenge Academy ~ Volunteers (Approx 10)
Rocky Mountain School of Photography
Spartan’s Honour, Inc.
Team Rubicon (Also building RUCK team)
UM VETS Office
United After Duty
*** VA HUD VASH
VA Veterans Experience Office
Veteran Directed Care (VDC) at Missoula Aging Services
*** Veterans Upward Bound
Volunteers of America
Whitetail Ranch Center
4/16/20 VSN Leadership met at RMMMH 4/16. Unfortunately, we can't get a permit for May, so we reviewed available dates provided by FMRP for Aug/Sept. September 20, 2020 is the only date feasible for VSN Leadership. Many donors / service providers have already confirmed that date will work for them. THANK YOU for always being there for our Veterans, service members, and families / caregivers! Sincerely, VSN Leadership Team (Anton, Erick, John, Rebecca, Shannon, and Tate)
4/10/20 Monte Bear regarding last year's Easter egg hunt at the BBQ, "Happy Easter VSN! I’m bummed I couldn’t see everyone this year, so we will just have to double up the fun next year! Stay healthy and Go Griz!"
3/4/20 Erick, “Humana donated $500.00, Simkins Hallin donated $300.00, Cabela’s is letting us use the archery range, still looking for two more bands to play a one hour set.”
There are no other races that day – YAY! VSAP volunteers are able to register on the VSAP website (above).
Judy, MAS Sr. Corps – RSVP is sending an invite out to volunteers separately for the food area (10 for food and 4 for 50/50). The VFW Auxiliary will also be assisting in the food area (And, American Legion Auxiliary, as always).
Welcome to the VSN Events CMTE, Andrew! (UM ROTC, Social Work Department / MSW student, and Vet Center “Outreach Intern”). Andrew will ask ROTC color guard if they'd like to participate, and he also has a connection with a company that teaches beading - they may want to provide an activity.
The donation request letter is signed and available on this page; however, if you need a hard copy, please contact VSN Leadership
The RUCK will start immediately following the Opening Ceremony at 10am with a delayed start for everyone else. There’s been some trail system changes.
The VSAP Training Group has started ~ Erick and crew will meet anyone interested in joining them at the event site every Saturday 2pm until the event (Bella Vista Pavilion, Fort Missoula Regional Park).
Susannah Cragwick, Teacher of English as a 2nd Language / Translator / Interpreter, will be there and available to sing the National Anthem again (if needed). Her dad served in the National Guard and both of her grandfathers were WWII Veterans.
On 12/23/19 Tate, Rocky Mountain Museum of Military History said, “Would be pleased, weather permitting, to schedule Civil War camp and reenactors on our front lawn May 2”
At the 9/20/19 PEC event, Rick from the Montana Army National Guard Recruiting offered to bring the large Army tents & tanks to display at RMMMH
Questions - VSN Events CMTE:
*** BBQ Logistics: Anton, Missoula Vet Center, Xsports4Vets & VFW Commander, (406) 721-4918 or (406) 396-8390, Anton.Johnson@va.gov
*** Donors - Silent Auction questions: Rebecca, Missoula Housing Authority, (406) 549-4113, ext. 106, firstname.lastname@example.org
(((OR, if you need someone to pick up a Silent Auction donation, you can call Tom, (623) 229-1225, email@example.com)))
*** DONORS for the BBQ & Silent Auction may utilize the UVC Heroes at Home BBQ Account: EIN# 81-6016498 (((EIN Questions: John, American Legion Post 27 Commander & United Veterans Council of Missoula & Ravalli Counties - Treasurer, (406) 544-2583, firstname.lastname@example.org)))
*** Senior Corps - RSVP Volunteers: Judy, (406) 728-7682, email@example.com
2019 ~ 2019 ~ 2019 ~ 2019 ~ 2019 ~ 2019 ~ 2019 ~ 2019 ~ 2019 ~ 2019 ~ 2019 ~ 2019 ~ 2019 ~ 2019 ~ 2019 ~ 2019 ~ 2019 ~ 2019
****** THANK YOU TO OUR 2019 DONORS, PARTICIPANTS, VOLUNTEERS, VSP >>>>>>
THIS AWESOME EVENT WOULD NOT BE POSSIBLE WITHOUT YOU! ******
(If you’re business / organization is not listed, please let us know. Our 2019 event included an Easter egg hunt so we were seeking a lot of gift cards for the eggs; however, for the 2020 event, we'll be more interested in BBQ donations / food, condiments, etc., media / marketing help, cash donations & Silent Auction items)
· 2M Company via Laurie @Job Service (16 oz. Stainless Steel Tumblers (x6)
· AARP Montana ($1K BBQ Sponsor and VSP)
· Advanced Therapeutic Massage Clinic (2 Gift Certs for 1 Hour Massages)
· Albertson’s – South Hills (In kind: 500 hot dog buns + hamburger buns)
· Albertson’s – Trempers (In kind: lettuce, tomato, onions)
· American Legion Auxiliary Unit 27 (Plastic eggs + book, “Farmer Dale’s Red Pickup Truck” w/animals)
· American Legion Post 27 (Food Area + AL Train + 2 Etch a Sketch)
· AM Scott, Author (Gift Basket, Sci Books 1-4)
· Anonymous (EOTECH XPS2-0 Holographic Weapons Sight)
· Baskin Robbins (Vendor Donates % of Profits)
· Buffalo Wild Wings (4 Gift Certs, $10 each + BBQ Sauces
· Cheerful Quilts (3 Baby Quilts from Maria Tavy Umhey
· Cherry Creek Radio (Air Time)
· Christina Bailey, Veteran (500 Easter Eggs filled w/toys & stickers)
· Competitive Timing (VSAP)
· Costco (Chips, cookies, 10 cases water, VSAP Race Bag Swag, 3 LG Bags of Candy, 2 Easter Baskets)
· Cracker Barrel ($40 Gift Card, “Dinner for 2”)
· D.A. Davidson ($50 BBQ Donation)
· Fuddruckers ($25 Gift Card)
· Home Depot (Air Compressor)
· Home Resource (Bird House)
· Humana / MarketPoint (500 race bags + VSP - Veteran health plan options outside of the VA)
· Jerry’s Transmissions (1 Transmission or Transfer Case Service)
· Job Service – Laurie (2M above) and Job Service – DVOP (Eggs, Candy, Prize Booth, 4 Easter Baskets + Monte’s Basket)
· Les Schwab (Emergency Road Side Kit)
· Marchesano (US Army Retired) ~ “War Torn” (Rat Fink Custom Chopper, 124 CI, 150 HP – Display)
· Military-Civilian (Marketing on their website)
· Missoula Aging Services Senior Companion Coordinator (Race bag swag) & Sr. Corps (RSVP Volunteers)
· Missoula Bone & Joint (VSAP Sponsor)
· Missoula Federal Credit Union (BBQ Donor, “Check in the mail” – didn’t make it on program)
· Missoula Rural Fire Department (Fire Truck)
· Missoula Vet Center (VSAP Sponsor)
· Montana ACE (Jumbo Joe 18" Black Charcoal Grill + BBQ Supplies + VSAP Sponsor / Gun Safes at Cost)
· Montana Central Insurance (2 Cakes + 2 Signed Books by Author Barb Jenkins, “Burying Jane Doe”)
· Montana Youth Challenge Academy (10 – 15 Volunteers)
· Murdoch’s (2 Gift Certs)
· Orange Street Food Farm (Salads)
· Papa Murphy’s Take n’ Bake (12 FREE Pizzas)
· Patty Plesure (Red, White & Blue Quilt)
· PEAK Health & Wellness (1 Mo. Membership + Bag of Goodies + The SPA)
· Pepsi-Cola of Missoula (Pop & Water)
· Project Tomorrow Montana (Water table + Out of the Darkness / Race Bag Swag)
· Ranch Club, The (3 Players, 18 Holes)
· Ruby’s Café (Gift Cert)
· Run Wild Missoula (VSAP Sponsor / equipment)
· Senta Sandberg Montana Artist (Painting)
· Simkins-Hallin Lumber (VSAP Sponsor)
· Sportsman’s Warehouse (Gift Certs X10 + 75 Coupons for $10 & $30 OFF ~ VSAP Race Bag Swag)
· Stacked Stone Photography (Photographer)
· Starbuck’s (6 Cold Cups)
· Target (Gift Certs X2)
· TopHouse (Band)
· Town Square Media (Air time + Live on FB - Newstalk KGVO)
· UM Department of Social Work (Videographer + Volunteers)
· UM Golf Course (2 Rounds of Golf)
· Uptown Optical (VSAP Sponsor)
· USPS National Association of Letter Carriers (VSAP Sponsor)
· VFW Post 209 (BBQ & VSAP Sponsor)
· Wendy Hoiness (Quilt)
· Westside Lanes ($50 Gift Card)
· XSports4Vets (Pavilion Donor & VSAP Sponsor)
· Veteran Service Providers (VSP) – 2019 event: AARP Montana; Advanced Therapeutic Massage Clinic (Cindy Clippinger, LMT); Alcoholics Anonymous (District 81); American Legion Auxiliary (Unit 27); American Legion Post 27; Animal Human Connection / Artichoke Press (Veteran Owned Business); Bulls Eye Wear ~ Eyecare / eyewear for VA eligible Veterans “VA Care-In-The-Community” (Veteran Owned Business); Dogs on Deployment; Family Assistance Center (FAC) / MTARNG Family Programs; Heroes Therapeutic Outreach Program (HTOP) at Red Willow Learning Center, Inc.; International Association of Workforce Professionals (IAWP); Keller Williams (Homes for Heroes + VSAP water table); Missoula Aging Services Senior Companion Coordinator & Sr. Corps; Missoula Housing Authority; Missoula Veterans Court; Mobile Vet Center; Montana Army National Guard Suicide Prevention Program Manager; Montana Fair Housing; Montana Legal Services Association (MLSA); Project Tomorrow Montana / Out of the Darkness (+ VSAP Water Table); REBOOT Combat Recovery; UM VETS Office; United After Duty; United States of Hope, “VETtogether” (+ Susannah, National Anthem); VA Veterans Experience Office; Veteran Directed Care (VDC) at Missoula Aging Services; Veteran Housing Options (Housing Montana Heroes & Valor House); Veterans Upward Bound; VFW Auxiliary; VFW Post 209 (VSP, Medical Tent + Beer Garden); Volunteers of America; Walmart Supercenter; XSports4Vets; And, the The Historical Museum at Fort Missoula had their Exhibit open “No enemy movement observed,”Vietnam War through the eyes of a Frenchtown Marine, and the Rocky Mountain Museum of Military History did a Civil War Reenactment.