top of page

Legal Assistance & Re-Entry Programs

AmeriCorps VISTA ~ Veterans Advocacy Clinic (VAC):

The VAC supports low-income veterans through legal representation, legal consultation, and outreach, ensuring that the systems designed to support veterans are held accountable. The VAC is an active and motivated team environment.

Questions: Hillary Wandler, Professor | Director, Veterans Advocacy Clinic, Clinic Wing, Room 110, Alexander Blewett III School of Law, UM, (406) 243-6788,

*** 2024 While Hillary is on sabbatical, please direct Veterans to Montana Legal Services Association for any civil law needs (divorce, bankruptcy, domestic violence, parenting plans, etc.:

They will need to reach out to a VSO for assistance with VA appeals: MVAD 1911 Tower Street, Missoula – call for appointment: (406) 542-2501

Bitterroot Legal Services:

Legal services solely for Missoula and Ravalli County. Like a self-help law center, but we include legal advice! The goal of our law firm is to provide legal aid by offering a variety of services and payment options based on client needs and their unique financial situations.

Questions: Victoria Parker - Attorney & Veteran (406) 218-6216,

Conviction Expungement Process:

Questions: Montana DoJ,

Crowley Fleck Attorneys PLLP ~ Statewide:

CF has several attorneys who are Veterans, and they have expressed an interest to Hillary (UM Law School) in helping Veterans.

Questions – Montana office locations:

OR Jake Rebo (Army Vet) via LinkedIn:

Discrimination ~ Florin / Roebig Trial Attorneys:

Disabled Veteran Rights; Discrimination in the workplace, healthcare system, social setting, and legal settings; The laws protecting Veteran rights; What to do if you have experienced discrimination; Government resources & much more.

Questions: Megan Johnson, Outreach Specialist,

Halpern Olivares PLLC:

We represent veterans in their VA disability appeals and can assist veterans regardless of where they reside. If they have any questions or concerns about any denial letters issued by VA and within a year of their decision being issued, contact Kayla Vance, MPA – Accredited Veteran Advocate (360) 753-8055 x105,

Hulling Law PLLC (website pending):

Nathan Hulling - USMC Veteran at 308 W. Pine St., Suite 140, Missoula (406) 880-7424,

​Job Service Re-Entry Program ~ Job Hunting Guide for Montanans with Criminal Records:; If you have questions, please call the Job Service Missoula (406) 728-7060 and ask for a Workforce Consultant who specializes in job search assistance and workforce development for job seekers with a criminal record.

Justice Involved Veterans ~ NVTI Featured Article

When looking to enter into or start a new position in the job market, it is important to have a game plan. Such preparation may be even more important for veterans who have been involved in the criminal justice system, also known as Justice Involved Veterans (JIVs).

Misdemeanor & Felony-Friendly Jobs ~ 70 Million Jobs:
70 Million Jobs will connect you with great companies that offer second chance jobs for people with criminal records. No cost to you.

Missoula County

The DoC Safety & Justice Challenge Coordinator’s work touches on addiction and mental health issues in the criminal justice system. Her team has created Veteran-specific diversion or deflection programs. Contact Chelsea,

Missoula Veterans Court & Veteran Mentor Program ~ Treatment and Mentoring:

Justice for Vets:

TWO-PART TRAINING ~ Missoula Veterans Court CALL FOR MENTORS! Be TRUSTED FRIENDS..If you have been thinking about how to help your fellow Montana service men and women, then this is the opportunity to help you fellow veterans deal with their issues and assimilate into civilian life following their military service. The Veterans Court is an alternative treatment court that serve Veterans who are struggling with mental illness, substance abuse, and are involved with the criminal justice system. A Mentor must be a Veteran of any branch of the military.

For more information about Veterans Court or to sign up for the training please contact Veteran Court Coordinator at Missoula County Courthouse, 200 W. Broadway, Missoula - Richard Reed  406-258-4725,

OR Larry Anderson, Mentor - Missoula Veterans Court (406) 239-7621,

Missoula Works:

Paige supports Veterans who have been impacted by the criminal justice system.

Questions: (406) 926-3400,

Montana DPHHS ~ Legal Services Developer Program:

Provides elder law training and resources for older adults, family members and social outreach workers. The program also develops pro bono and local legal services referrals, training materials and telephone assistance. Call 1-800-332-2272

Montana Legal Services Association (MLSA: ~ Self Help Law:

Free civil legal help to eligible clients. MLSA may be able to refer you to a volunteer attorney for help with a discharge upgrade. MLSA is a private, non-profit law firm, that provides non-criminal legal information, advice, and representation to Montanans. Their services help “fight scams on seniors, assist Veterans who have been denied benefits, help people escape abusive relationships, and represent families living in unsafe housing conditions”

Questions: 1-800-666-6899 (Option 5) M-F, 9am to 1pm OR if you are in need of assistance, or would like to provide resources for our center, please email

Questions: 1535 Liberty Lane, Suite 110D, Missoula (406) 258-3428 OR Jami Campbell (406) 442-9830 Ext 157,

Montana Veterans Treatment Court Laws Revision Act:

Enacted April 1, 2019 ~ Montana’s revisions call for all detention centers to record the veteran status of all detainees if located in the same county as a VTC. This information is then sent to the local VTC, which now has legal responsibility to inform detained veterans about the program and their eligibility.

National Drug Court Resource, Policy, and Evidence-Based Practice Center ~ Justice Programs Office:

Strives to provide practitioners and professionals working in the drug court field with current resources and upcoming events. 


Partners for Reintegration (PFR):

Missoula - Coalition of local agencies, faith congregations, service providers and community volunteers, including previously incarcerated individuals, working in partnership with the Department of Corrections to help returning citizens reintegrate from incarceration back into the Missoula community. PFR questions:; VSN Members - Employment Services:

Stateside Legal:

FREE online information, self-help tools and referrals for Veterans, service members, their families and advocates.

If you received a discharge that was other than Honorable, a discharge upgrade can help you access important VA benefits, services, and care. Or you may feel that your discharge was not fair and you want to correct it. Any Veteran who has a discharge other than Honorable can apply for an upgrade. “Step-by-Step Guide: How to Apply for Discharge Upgrade”:; Questions:

UM Law School Clinic Directory:

Veterans Advocacy Clinic ~ FREE for Low Income Veterans:

The Veterans Advocacy Clinic at the School of Law has been partnering with the State Bar Veterans Law Section to train lawyers in the military discharge upgrade process. Interested veterans or service providers can email

The Veterans Advocacy Clinic provides pro bono legal advocacy to Veterans and their families in Montana. 

VA claims for service-connected disability benefits, increased disability rating, applications for discharge upgrade, and consultation with practitioners on various legal issues for Veterans. Alexander Blewett III School of Law, University of Montana, (406) 243-4311

Questions: Hillary Wandler, Professor & Director, Alexander Blewett III School of Law, Clinic Wing, Room 110, University of Montana, 32 Campus Dr., Msla, (406) 243-6788,; Schedule an Appointment:

UM LAW Faculty:

*** 2024 While Hillary is on sabbatical, please direct Veterans to Montana Legal Services Association for any civil law needs (divorce, bankruptcy, domestic violence, parenting plans, etc.:

They will need to reach out to a VSO for assistance with VA appeals: MVAD 1911 Tower Street, Missoula – call for appointment: (406) 542-2501

VA Veterans Justice Outreach ~ “A Guidebook for Incarcerated Veterans”:

Justice and Reentry-Related Services (VA Veterans Justice Outreach Program):

Questions: Jackie Merritt, LCSW - Veterans Justice Outreach Specialist (406) 447-6021,

Veterans Justice and Mental Health (VJMH) ~ Justice Programs Office at American University:


Legal Assistance: Welcome
bottom of page